2016 really surprised me when it came to travel. I only had a handful of trips booked at the beginning of the year — Guatemala, Cairo, and Poland — but as you’ll see below, the year morphed into a crazy amount of travel all over the world.
You won’t be surprised to hear that I had a good time on all my trips, but the one that swept me off my feet the most was Cape Charles, Virginia. It’s so close to home but feels world’s away. Perhaps it was the surprise that made me enjoy it so much?
The only places that underwhelmed me were Stockholm and Paris…goes to show that sometimes the big names aren’t always the best.
My beloved Antigua, Guatemala
Panama City & surrounds (totally unexpected trip due to a flight cancellation on my connection home from Guatemala)
- 8 Totally Random (But Totally Useful) Tips for Panama City
- Love at First Bite: a Panama Food Tour
- Things to Do in Panama: a Panama City Layover Guide
- 24 Photos of 24 Hours in Valle de Anton (Panama)
Hot Springs, Virginia
- Is Bogota Safe? (Spoiler Alert: I’m Undecided)
- 7 Days in Bogota for $1000: Yes, It’s Possible!
- Oops, I Did it Again! A Hike to Remember in Bogota
- Blowing Things Up in Bogota
- Planning a Trip to Bogota? Do This, Not That
I stayed home, all month. Seriously. Between a family emergency, buying a house, and being exhausted from travel, I needed a month in Richmond.
Central California Coast
Eastern Shore of Virginia, USA
- Shhh! Don’t Share My Secret
- I Paddled My Glass Off (But At Least I Got a Bottle of Wine)
- Planning a Perfect Day in Chincoteague
blog post coming soon!
Krakow & Zakopane, Poland
- Krakow Made the Top of My List
- Na Zdrowie! A Krakow Vodka Tour
- Dear Comrades, Wish You Were Here
- Why Stained Glass Made it In My Suitcase
Stockholm & Skellefteå, Sweden
- Stockholm Stumped Me
- Which Stockholm Archipelago Tour is Best?
- I Spent 3 Days in Skelleftea & Still Can’t Pronounce It
- Summer in Skelleftea: a SightDOING Guide
- Adventure, Nature, and Eating Off the Foraged Land
- A Joyful Victory in Canada’s Bruce Peninsula
- Finding Paradise in the Remote Bruce Peninsula
- My Night on an (Almost) Private Island
I traveled a little in September, with a family visit in Rochester NY and a wedding in Buffalo. I also got to re-visit the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains and Williamsburg VA. But no blog posts because frankly, these weren’t particularly interesting.
I stayed home the entire month of October because my bank account needed a breather, but I did make one local getaway…
Sedona and Phoenix, Arizona
Back to the Eastern Shore (because once wasn’t enough)
I’m in Peru right now! Stay tuned next month for blog posts or get a sneak peek on Instagram.
Every year I say my travel will slow down…but that didn’t seem like the case this year. Guess we’ll see how the next one turns out.
* * *