Recently, I’ve had a few posts on how to get free miles or points (or other perks, like elite status) simply by joining a program. These promotions come and go, but in the meantime, I thought I’d share all of the current goodies in case you aren’t a member of these programs yet.
I’m a big supporter of signing up for every program so you can grab all the free miles you can get. The five hundred miles you earn here and there are wonderful (and over time truly do add up). Eventually, you might have enough miles for a transfer bonus or one-way award flight, or at the very least, a headstart if you ever decide to get serious about that program.
Because these joining bonuses come and go, I’d recommend joining now if there’s a great bonus or holding off if they’re offering nothing…unless you actually require membership for your upcoming travel plans. TIP: For the programs that require travel in order to obtain a bonus, if you have nothing planned, hold off until you do. Hopefully, you’ll be able to get something of value just by joining!
- Aeromexico: 6400 km when you join and fly on a (paid) flight within six months of registering
- Air Canada: 1000 Miles for Joining, Completing a Profile, and Flying by March 31, 2015
- Alaska Airlines: 500 Miles for Joining and Completing Your Profile
- Amtrak: 500 Points for Joining and Completing Your First Trip Within 90 Days
- Choice Hotels: 500 Points for Joining and Completing Your First Stay
- Club Carlson: 2000 Points for Joining and Completing Your First Trip Within 90 Days
- Czech Airlines: 2000 Miles for Joining and Completing Your First Trip
- Frontier Airlines: 1000 Miles for Joining and Completing Your Profile
- Hilton: 1000 Points for Joining
- LAN Airlines: 1000 Kilometers for Joining
- Malaysia Airlines: 1000 Miles for Joining
- Marriott: 2000 Bonus Points on Your First Stay
- Stash Hotels: 500 Bonus Points On Your First Stay
- Southwest Airlines: 1000 Points for Joining and Opting In to Emails for at least 3 Months
- Virgin America: 500 Miles for Joining and 2000 More For Flying by 12/31/2014 (or more in business/first class!)
- Virgin Atlantic: 1000 Miles for Joining and Taking Your First Flight in Economy Class (2000 Miles for Premium Economy / 3000 for Upper Class)
Once you’ve joined, be sure to store and track your account numbers online.
Please note that some of these links may offer me a referral credit in the form of miles if you sign up using my link. I have no idea what I’m going to do with Czech miles, but I think I appreciate them anyway. For more information on referrals and compensation, check out my disclosures page.